Sausages (veggie or meat) in soft and crispy batter. Serves 2-4.
170g plain flour
2 large eggs
4 /8 sausages – two per person
Salt & pepper
A baking tin which fits your oven and is strong enough not to warp in the heat.
1) Put enough oil into a baking tin to cover the bottom generously, and put the tray into a hot oven (about 220 degrees Celsius).
2) Once the oil is hot but not smoking add the sausages and cook until brown on the outside and cooked right through.
3) While the sausages are cooking you can make the batter by whisking the flour, eggs, milk, water, salt and pepper together.
4) Allow the oil to heat up until it is smoking, whilst not burning the sausages. You may need to take the sausages out at this point, but keep them warm.
5) When the oil is really smoking hot, pop the sausages back in (if you took them out before) and add the batter, working quickly to avoid losing heat.
6) Keep an eye on the oven temperature so that it stays hot, but not too hot, around 220 degrees is fine. If the temperature is rising fast you may need to open the door a crack but not during the first 15 minutes or your batter will sink! If the oven temperature has dropped too much add small pieces of fuel to allow it to come back up.
7) We serve this with gravy and vegetables sauteed in olive oil, both cooked on the stove top. It's a rib sticker of a meal!